Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Saturday night's alright

Mr.Q and I went out for some Saturday adventuring today (well, he had a dentist appointment, and I had a hot coffee date with a new sock-in-progress while I waited for him!) And it got off to a most auspicious start: I managed to fall UP the stairs leaving the apartment, and stubbed the shite out of my toe. Bent the toenail almost all the way back.

Good news is, I'm pretty sure the toe isn't broken (knowledge gained from previous experience falling up stairs...it's a special talent, I tell you!) I don't think I'm going to lose my toenail, either, thank FSM. However, it hurts like a bitch, and put rather a crimp in our afternoon walk-about plans.

So. What's a girl to do, with a sore toe, a husband at the dentist, and a new sock to celebrate? Why, hit the most Italian of the cafes on Commercial Drive ("little Italy") and console herself with an affogato di gelato (espresso poured over vanilla gelato):

That right there is a little bit of heaven on earth. And the sock next to it is a design of my own devising, using my brand spanky-new Sockgate yarn from Blue Moon. I'm calling it "Nox." (If you're a science fiction geek like me, you'll get it. If not, I'll spare you.) Anyway. It's very colourful yarn, much more so than I usually go for. But it's just so interesting, watching what the colours do next, that I'm having a really hard time stopping. I was actually knitting and walking today. (And knitting while trying to get off the bus. Not my brightest moment. Possibly even less bright than falling up the stairs.) I've had to bribe myself - trading off a few rows on the cardigan, then a few rows on the sock.

When we got home, I had a wee nap. Then got Mr.Q going on something that we've been putting off for, oh, a year. There was a little of this:

And then a little of that:

(Isn't he sexy with the power tools and stuff? You should see him in his new Carhartt work pants...nom nom nom! But I digress...there was this, and that, and then...)

Voila! A shelf for my knitting books:


Now. The question is - am I surprised by all the books I seem to have accumulated without really realizing it?

Or does it just accentuate the paltry state of my "library"?

I'm not spending a lot of time on the question tonight. Instead, I am feeling sorry for my sore toe (though it's much better since I lanced the blood blister under the nail. Aren't you glad I shared? Aren't you really glad I'm sparing you a picture?) I am self-medicating with grilled cheese, Strongbow, and the first season of Torchwood. In short, being about as productive as these guys:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you for not sharing that pici! They are cute on when they get out the power tools, aren't they?

That sock looks gorgeous! Nom, nom, nom! I hope your toe feels better soon. :)

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

That espresso over gelato sounds fab. I may have to make that myself (as no one nearby will do it for me, damn it). And thank you for not showing the toe - just the thought gives me the heebie jeebies. But I hope it gets better soon!

Yeah - men with power tools, doing stuff around the house are definitely sexy. I'd tell my husband that but he'd definitely see through it.

Lorraine said...

Ouch! Glad it's feeling better. Good thing you can wear sandals now.