Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

Just a little whimsical in the brainpan

It was pointed out to me by Someone Who Shall Remain Nameless* that lately, my blog posts have mostly been about why I've been too busy to post. Thought I'd try to make up for that a little tonight. Though, to be fair, things have been unusually busy around the Quimby household of late.

Mr.Q has officially started his first-year carpentry apprenticeship classes, and is doing swimmingly well. (I'm not at all surprised. But he's had a bit of anxiety about the math bits. However, he seems to be kicking tangential arse. Again with the not-so-surprising.) He got to put his skills to work on the weekend, helping Little Sister and her husband put new laminate flooring down. He looks so cute with a tape measure!

It was a great way to spend a Saturday, coz mostly the guys just bonded over the power tools, while Sis & I watched a marathon of RuPaul's Drag Race. The swimsuit competition was something to behold. We just had to come out and hold things from time to time. (With the flooring, not the swimsuits!) And we watched them on the deck with the saw. I swear, there was fondling of the power tools at one point. It was quite an entertaining afternoon! Then they took us for Mexican before we went home. Mmmmm!

Yesterday was finally spring-y, sunny weather, warm enough for shirt-sleeves only...hooray! Which means it's finally shawl weather, for really and for true. I got a better pic of the Waves stole in the sunshine the other day:

The weight of it is just perfect for this weather. I may have to turn the rest of my Malabrigo sock yarn into lacy stole-type things. In other knitting news, I've booked my hotel room & found a room-mate for the Sock Summit in August...much squeeing has ensued, both in and outside my head. One of the tasks I've been working on is finally applying for a passport, so I can get across the border for the Summit.

Holy nit-picky, batman! (Is it bad that I typed that first as knit-picky?) Anyway, I finally got all the pieces and papers and photos and signatures together, and took it all down to the passport office today. Where I had to line up at one office to get a number, which I then took to another office - across the building, one floor up - where I had to wait to file my application.

Is it just me, or is that, like, a major DUH? My tax dollars at their most efficient, no doubt.

At any rate, it's done. Thankfully, I had my knitting in the waiting room. It struck me as poetic that I was knitting a sock, while waiting to get my passport so I could go learn more about knitting socks.

Proof that the sock and I survived the ordeal, and emerged while the sun was still out:

Work today was interesting on a couple of fronts. There was Easter egg decorating at lunch today for the students. One of mine came to class late, coz he was trying to get all the dye off his hands. He was quite tickled about the whole experience. Which amused me, as he's from Saudi Arabia. And I am more than a little entertained at the notion of a Muslim man creating a Pagan symbol of a Christian holiday...maybe there's hope for the world yet!

Same class, playing "Alibi" - 3 players are suspects in a bank robbery. They are interviewed by separate teams of interrogators, who try to trip them up with tricksy questions. The alibi: the 3 were at a movie. One of the questions that the "police" came up with: "What size Coke did you get?"

Except, well, one of the "cops" mis-pronounced "Coke," and asked the student what size cock she had.

And then I had to explain it to the students who didn't get it.

And then one of the guys answered the question.

I do believe I blushed! More than once. (And then taught them the expression "one size fits all") Never a dull moment, that's for sure!

(*Hi Dad!)

5 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

I laughed out loud!

I am coming to the realization that I'm not going to be able to go to the Sock Summit this year. I think I'm depressed. And now that I know YOU'RE going, I'm REALLY sad!

yarnpiggy said...

I'm with Barb. On all of it.

Anonymous said...

Ru Paul, power tools and coke, cops, cock!
You've been saving up!
GD

Anonymous said...

Beautiful lacey Malabrigo yumminess!

I didn't realize there was going to be a swimsuit competition on RuPaul, I would have begged hubby to not change the channel! LOL.

Rabbitch said...

Whee! I shall see you there at the Summit of the Socks. Just look for the little sign with the rabbit knitting with her ears.

Yes, I'm vending.