Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Expect the Unexpected

One morning last week, Mr.Q called me from work. "What are we doing tonight?" he asked.

"Nothing, as far as I know. Why?"

"Want to go on a date with me?"

Well, y'all know how much I like spontaneous date nights, so of course I said yes. "Sounds great! Where are we going?"

"I got free tickets to the Giants hockey game tonight!"

Now. Those of you who know me in real life know I enjoy hockey only slightly more than, say, a good root canal. And those who know Mr.Q know that he enjoys it even less. (So much less, in fact, that we once had an argument about whether our hypothetical kids would be allowed to play hockey. I let him know, in no uncertain terms, that if that's what they wanted, they'd play - and I wouldn't be the only parent getting up for a 5:00 am ice time. So there!)

At any rate, this particular idea for a "date night" was highly unusual, but the arena's only 3 blocks from home. I figured, why not? A great opportunity for people-watching, if nothing else! Also, much giggling ensued over the course of the day, which is never a bad thing.

So we ate a quick dinner when we got home, and headed out into the rainy evening for this strange adventure...

Look! There's a Zamboni on the ice behind us! (I am enough of a Canuck to find Zambonis (Zambonii?) entertaining. Though I can't be the only one that thinks the name sounds like a kind of pasta, can I?)


Of course, I brought my knitting:


There was an ESL group sitting below us, having a grand old time. They tried to get a wave going several times, but it died out after our section. It was more fun than I had expected, truth be told.

Though we did only stay for the first period. And came home to this:


Which is pretty much what they're doing right now. Never a dull moment, Chez Quimby!

Now...off to make Attempt #2 at my first Baby Surprise Jacket...EZ may just make my brain melt, but I can see why she is considered the patron saint of my addiction! I already want to make a dozen of these!

1 comment:

Barb Matijevich said...

You know what? I just adore you. That's all. My kitties were cuddling, too, but unfortunately, Edward is having some digestive issues that are causing him to try to...well...poop all over the house. Still love him more than life itself.

Date Nights rule. Even to hockey.