Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

U-brew? Me-brew!

Lots of little loose ends being tidied up, knitting-wise...both figuratively and literally! I'm gearing up for the Ravelympics, and it feels good to be clearing my slate, as it were. I had a bit of a struggle deciding whether or not to participate in the Ravelympics this time around. Living with the 2010 Olympics just about literally in my back yard, and seeing the seriously un-cool effect it's had on the community (Most recent news: over 800 local teachers get possible lay-off notices coz the provincial gov't has slashed school boards' budgets; 11 schools in another town may be closed...but there will be a ridiculous sum spent to have helicopters fly snow to the decidedly-bare ski hills for the freestyle skiing...Doh!)

So with all the crap going on around the Winter Olympics, I wasn't sure I wanted anything to do with anything to do with that. Until a friend, who shares my feelings, said she was damned if she was going to let the bastards at VANOC and the IOC spoil the knitting. When put that way...of course I'm in! Knitting details to be posted as they arise.

Meanwhile...I had a bit of an adventure at lunch today. (Also, it was kind of gross, just so you're warned!) I was eating turkey soup (from the bounty of the freezer!) and a whole wheat bun. Somebody said something really funny, and I sort of inhaled a piece of the bun. Not into my esophagus, but into my sinus cavity. Where it burned for rather awhile, but I was finally able to blow it out. (And no, to answer the question my sister asked: I did not eat it! EEEEEEEWWWW!!!!!)

My nose stung all afternoon, and I was kind of worried that there might be some still stuck in my sinuses. I thought I'd do a bit of a saline rinse when I got home...but then I thought: What if I used sugar water instead? Would it ferment? Could I brew my own beer in my head?

I really need to think about getting cable or something, coz that thought entertained me far more than I ought to admit. Happily, the stinging has subsided, and I'm pretty sure there's nothing left in there.

I hope.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, brewing beer in your nose. What to call it, what to call it? Proboscis Pale Ale? Whiffer Wheat Beer? Beak Brewski? Sniffer Stout?

Thank you very much, I'm here all week! Ba da bump!

Annie said...

I agree you should take back the Olympics by knitting!

I disagree to attempts to brew beer in your sinuses. Not a good plan. No, really, I'm serious. NOT a good plan.

Anonymous said...

Ewww! Nose beer!!

I can imagine the mess from the Olympics would be annoying and inconvient!

Another Joan said...

So glad I'd finished my granola before reading this. And your buddy is Keerect: danged if VanOc gets to mess with my knitting - I can do that well enough myself!!!

Anonymous said...

I vote for "proboscis pale ale" as long as I don't have to drink it! and if I get to visit this week - I won't be drinking beer ; )

Rabbitch said...

I'm quite sure you're safe ... nothing in your head at all *g*

(running away very quickly)