Pages

Friday, April 27, 2007

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

You know, most of the time I'm really OK with not being a "traditional" girly-housewifey type. I don't own lipgloss or a curling iron; my choices in "supportive undergarments" tend toward sports bras rather than Victoria's Secret; I don't own a knife sharpener; and I honestly couldn't tell you what a good price for tomatoes is.

Now, don't get me wrong; I'm not stereotyping here. My "Princess Bride" sister can manage all of these things and more - including the best pie pastry ever - and she owns a Swiss Army knife which puts my own to shame and can whip up a duct-tape wallet in about 7 minutes flat. (Also, her house is usually much cleaner than mine, and she owns an ironing board to boot!)

And most days, I am totally fine with the fact that my skills and interests and inclinations lie elsewhere.

Most days. But every once in awhile, I feel like I'm missing something crucial. It's not that I'm feeling a crazy need for an ironing board at this point, or that I'm likely to acquire a Kitchen-Aid mixer any time soon...but I ask you:

IS there, in fact, a way to change a duvet cover without practically having to climb inside the fracking thing, or getting all tangled up in it like some kind of abstract fabric origami performance art piece?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I have discovered. But if you find one I'm willing to trade my secret to the pie crust for it.

"Princess Bride"

Sarah from the Kootenays said...

Don't cover your duvet. Get a nice inexpensive comforter that you can run through the wash and line-dry.
Housewives and mothers everywhere know that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. It's ok, you dont have to thank me. I already have a pretty deadly pie crust recipe of my own.

Rabbitch said...

Yes. But we're not going to tell you how.

Rebecca M. said...

I can't even get a duvet cover on without a whole body experience...and I don't do that girly stuff (wedding plans are making me crazy - do people actually like this stuff?)...but I love kitchen appliances. Oh, and I own three or four irons (you need them to melt your wax, or iron your fabric for quilting, etc.) although I can't remember the last time I ironed any clothes.

Anie said...

I thought the whole point was to make up the bed TOGETHER and then, all hot and energized by the experience, continue on in the bed TOGETHER. Was I given the wrong instructions;)