Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2007

When the Q's away...the cats don't get much sleep!

Mr. Q's gone for the weekend - off to play a couple of shows in the interior. He flew out early this morning with a friend....The flight was so early, they decided it made more sense for him to stay over at the drummer's place after rehearsal last night, and share a cab to the airport today. So I saw him off about 6:30 last night, and toodled on downtown to my knitting meet-up.

I was a bit later than I'd anticipated - stayed out till the whopping late hour of ELEVEN O'CLOCK!!!!!!!!!! (Which, as a co-worker pointed out today, is my body clock's equivalent to about 2 A.M.) But, I wasn't too concerned. I didn't have to be up till 7:00 this morning, and I wouldn't have the fuss and bother of Mr.Q's alarm going off at 5:00, and then trying to get back to sleep while he gets ready for work at that ungodly hour.

I went to bed about 11:30, savouring the sweet notion of an uninterrupted sleep, till 7:00 even - practically sleeping in! I fell immediately into a lovely, deep sleep.

(You know where this is going, don't you?)

The phone rang at 1:23 A.M. I leapt out of bed, my mind racing. Who could be calling at this hour? What's wrong? Who was found mangled in a ditch or kidnapped or abducted by aliens or in jail and how am I going to raise bail at this hour and what will I say when I call in to work because I have to go bring a nail file in a cake to somebody....? (My imagination runneth a little amok at that hour, when startled from a sound sleep.)

It was Mr.Q. With that tone of voice particular to someone on the gherkin side of pickled, and trying really, really hard to keep it a secret. "We don't have an alarm here. Can you call me at 5:00 and wake us up?"

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
You've got to be frackin' kidding me!


Of course I had to say yes, though for purely selfish reasons. Otherwise I'd be up all night anyway, worried about him making his flight.

So, I set the alarm for 5:00, and when the Beatles, bless them, woke me up - I stumbled to the phone and called. To his credit, he picked up before his voicemail did. (I took grim satisfaction in knowing that my alarm is, in fact, about 5 minutes fast. So I was really waking him up at 4:55. A small difference, but knowing that "4:00" was somehow involved was satisfying, in a petty but totally guilt-free kind of way!)

I went back to bed. I suspected he'd fall asleep again, so I hit the snooze button. This time it was Neil Diamond singing me awake. And I'll confess here and now, I'm not his biggest fan. I stumbled to the phone and called again. "Hello, this is your snooze button calling."

I tried to sound chipper, or at least nice. I really did. But I suspect I sounded more like a premenstrual T.Rex on crack. (Or would that be a T.Regina?)

Thankfully, I fell back asleep without any difficulty. And truth be told, I was able to see even at the time that I'd be able to laugh at this. Later. In daylight. Someday.

I remember the "for better or for worse" part of the thing...and wool knows, we've done the "richer or poorer" - or the "poorer," anyway - I'm not holding my breath for a chance to test out the "richer" bit!...but I'm sure there was nothing about wake-up calls or alarm clocks. At FIVE frackin' A.M.!

There are reasons why I put up with it, of course. Including this:

How could I not love a man who sees that and thinks of me?

2 comments:

Anie said...

nobody could ever accuse you of being non-diligent ( is that a word?). I think those wedding wows could definately be expanded upon.I think we added "in wind and in weather" to ours...but something like "at 4 am or 4pm" would work well, nes pas?

Rebecca said...

That is one of those grumpy, maybe I'll laugh about it later stories...doesn't his cell phone have an alarm on it? But that is a pretty cool bottle of wine.