Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Italian milkmen?

Yesterday, my mother insisted that there is no Italian blood in my veins whatsoever, not a teeny-tiny drop. It's not that I don't believe her; it's that the margherita pizza I had for lunch yesterday (brick-oven-baked, thin chewy crust, sooooooo much mozzarella) satisfied an appetite that went far beyond just "lunch" - or even "my ancestors are Irish so I must eat potatoes and drink beer."

It's not that I don't like potatoes or beer. Quite the opposite, in fact. It's just that I think I loved that pizza even more.

Meanwhile - a sock!





I love it. I can't believe how quickly it knit up. I'm not 100% thrilled with the gusset decreases on one side - I think I wasn't paying attention and purled where I should have knit, and they're all twisted and gimpy. I didn't notice it, really, till I was more than half-way done the foot. I wasn't sure what to do about it - leave it? Rip it out? Kick anyone who was close enough to notice it and say anything? (Coz they'd have to be right down at foot level anyway....)

It doesn't look that bad, but I know it's there and it bugs me a little. Then again, I knit it up thinking of my old Puck cat - and I guess the sock's not unlike him: soft, lovely, cozy, cuddly, and a bit gimpy. So I think I'll leave it. Knitting it out of "Puck's Mischief" was an obvious connection...it didn't occur to me until last night that the pattern I used was also appropriate: Kat's Front Cabled Socks.

I'm all excited to start the second sock today, though I'm already thinking ahead to the next project...I think socks out of Titania would be a natural progression! Mr.Q played the part of a swift and helped me wind the skein of Titania this morning. I can't wait to play with it!

I didn't have lots of help - knitting or otherwise - from this:

2 comments:

Rabbitch said...

I think you should count yourself lucky that Singe didn't help you at all. I utterly heart that picture of him, though. Can I have him? *g*

The sock is great, too, but I'm wise enough not to ask for that.

Rebecca said...

So hungry after reading your blog - pizza, potatoes, beer, pasta, gelato...seriously. Next time I will read your blog after lunch. ☺ Sock looks great, and who cares about the little details that no one can see? Kicking sounds like the perfect solution. My gusset never quite works on one side - I don't know why. Really a bit annoying.