Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Decrepitude

3:58 a.m.

That's what time we got in last night. This morning. Whatever.

And I woke up at 8:00. Not because I had to, or wanted to, or even because the cats demanded it. Nope. No reason, just because. Ask me how impressed I was.

(Jel asked if I was about as happy as a wet cat, just pulled out of the washing machine. Understatement of the year, I think.)

Mr.Q doesn't do birthdays like most people. He books a club, invites a bunch of his musician friends out to play, puts up posters, and throws himself one hell of a party. I still haven't decided if I think it's weird or not, but it makes him happy. And people keep coming out - this is the third year in a row he's done this in Vancouver. (Let's not discuss the fiasco that was his 30th, some years ago, a mere 4 weeks after we'd first moved in together....sufficient cause for me to wonder what the bloody heck I'd gotten myself into....These days, he is far more restrained. Thank FSM.)

Last night was great - eight bands (eight! The sound guy was a little crotchety by the end, and I can't say I blame him!) All of them completely different, and all of them ranged from pretty good to frackin' fantastic. Lots of people out we hadn't seen in awhile, good conversation, many hugs (I like hugs!) It was a lot of fun, and Mr.Q enjoyed himself immensely. Which was, after all, the whole point of the exercise.

Of course, more than a few people bought him a birthday round, but he somehow remained heroically functional for most of the night. By the end, though, he kind of reminded me of a cross between Tigger, and Baloo from the Jungle Book. While I was sensible and moderate in my habits.

Which is why the irony of today is so, so bitter. He should be crippled with the after-effects, yet he's out and about, while I'm trying my darnedest to stay awake until at least 8:30.

The day was hardly a waste - we went out for brunch (lunch!). It was beautifully warm out. My sister came into town with her husband - stopping at IKEA for us en route, yay! - and we had a nice visit over coffee. Then Mr.Q and I went up Main Street so he could spend the birthday money that my mother & sister had given him for records. While he did that, I poked around in the yarn store, and picked up some bagels at Solly's.

(One of the guys at the record store was out last night, and gave Mr.Q a 2-for-1 deal on his records. Thanks. Thanks a lot.)

I'm just waiting for my chamomile tea to finish steeping...then I can start sleeping!

No comments: